Roger Waters Defends Against ADL Attacks

roger-waters_466161bRoger Waters responded Monday to the ADL’s claim that his performance of “Goodbye Blue Sky” in The Wall Live tour was anti-Semitic in an open letter to The Independent, a U.K. newspaper.

Waters, the bassist for Pink Floyd, was accused of having anti-Semitic video imagery projected on to a backdrop during his show by the head of the ADL, Abraham Foxman. In the performance B-52s drop bombs in the shape of crucifixes, crescent moons, Jewish stars, dollar signs, and other symbols. Foxman, who makes over $300,000 a year, claimed that the proximity of the Jewish star to the dollar signs, “play[s] into and dredg[es] up the worst age-old anti-Semitic stereotype about Jews and their supposed obsession with making money.”

Waters felt obligated to reply to the accusation because “people will see the story and will come to believe I’m anti-Semitic, and I’m not. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

He explained that while he is against Israel’s policies regarding the West Bank, he has no problem with the religion. He accused the ADL of declaring any critics of Israel as anti-Semites.

“It’s a screen that they hide behind. I don’t think they should be taken seriously on that. You can attack Israeli policy without being anti-Jewish,” he said.

He went on to criticize Foxman for not coming to the show before passing criticism and only relying on hearsay.

Nobody should perceive any anti-Jewish sentiments in the visuals, Waters said, explaining, “Contrary to Mr. Foxman’s assertion, there are no hidden meanings in the order or juxtaposition of these symbols.”

Finally, in an ultimate—though possibly unintentional—bitch-slap of Foxman and his organization, Waters writes, “I had never heard of the ADL until today.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Older Responses to “Roger Waters Defends Against ADL Attacks”

1. Open for Work
    October 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

I’ll do Mr. Foxman’s job for 225K. I’ll take on all Israel and Jewish nay sayers!

2. fillets
    October 8, 2010 at 4:56 am #

Judaism – the religion Waters says he doesn’t have a problem with – is doctrinally anti-Gentile, the Talmud, Judaism’s ‘holiest’ book, and even the Torah, are full of extreminationist racism toward other groups and hostility to all other groups generally. We should have a probelm with the religion. That said, it ain’t even a religious issue. Israel is an ethno-state, and most of its Jewish boosters and citizens are not religious, they’re just racist, and naturally, as in the ancient world, the religion conforms to the people’s appalling characteristics.

3. Judah
    October 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Filet Mignon–

I am going to be honest with you. I have no idea what in the hell you are talking about.

I mean I understand the words and sentences but I am pretty sure you did not read my article because your comment has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote about.

How much time do you have on your hands that you can write nonsensical comments on my article?

4. fillets
    October 9, 2010 at 5:14 am #

Waters says he doesn’t have a problem with the ‘religious’ group called Jews. I say he should and explain why. But I go on to say that Jews and Zionism aren’t defined by any religion, but by ethnicity. What’s nonsensical or difficult to understand, typical Judah?

5. Judah Ari Gross
    October 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

I guess what’s difficult to understand, typical Fillets, is why you would come on a website for Jewish college students and write a comment about how Roger Waters of Pink Floyd should hate Jews and not think that doing these things is in anyway strange.

But hey, that’s just me.

6. fillets
    October 13, 2010 at 7:13 am #

I should have thought young Jews are precisely the people to be confronted with what sins are done in the name of Jewry. You imply that Jews cannot be faulted and should not listen to the views of others. Very ADL, very typically Jewish in historical and religious terms, but not very moral.

7. Kosher
    March 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Hi I’m a Jewish girl very glad to see that you are putting so much of effort for encouraging the readers with valueable posts like this, I have sent this post to my facebookaccount profile.